For questions regarding 2012 winner certificates or Store orders, please call 703-506-2025.
For all questions regarding entry, please contact HSMAI at 703-506-3274.
- What is the deadline for entries?
- What work is eligible for entry and awarding?
- How are the entries judged?
- How many entries can I submit?
- How do I submit an entry?
- What are the steps to entering online?
- What must I submit to enter?
- Is there a limit to how many media files I can upload?
- What types of files can I upload?
- What awards are given out?
- What are the entry categories?
- How much does it cost to enter?
- How do I pay for my entries?
The 2012 Call for Entries will open Monday, July 16, 2012, with an early deadline of September 10, 2012. The final deadlinr for submitting entries will be September 17, 2012
What type of organization and work is eligible for entry and awarding?
The competition is open to all travel-related industries. Work completed after January 1, 2010 through the date of entry, 2012 is eligible for entry. Entries submitted in prior years may be resubmitted if the results of the campaign have changed significantly, or if additional elements have been added to the piece or program after January 1, 2010.
All entries are submitted online. Each entry must include a completed communications statement, including information on marketing objectives, target audience, research and planning, message, results, and budget. Supporting materials can be uploaded in a variety of electronic formats. To avoid entry problems, review file format and size requirements in advance.
Entries may be submitted by travel industry organizations, advertising digital marketing agencies, public relations firms, or any other type of communications professional on behalf of their clients. Both client and agency are acknowledged in the awarding process. Award winners may be asked to submit additional materials such as high-resolution media to be displayed at the gala.
How are the entries judged?
Approximately 200 industry experts are invited to serve as members of the Adrian Awards judging academy. Judges are advertising, public relations, media, and Internet marketing professionals, along with leading members of the travel community. Entries are evaluated in five equally weighted categories: Marketing Objectives, Creativity, Quality, Content, and Results. Each entry is judged on its own merit and success in achieving its objectives as outlined in the entry's communication statement. Multiple judges score each entry. Points are then added cumulatively and an average score is determined. All tabulation is done by officials of HSMAI and kept confidential. Judging for Gold, Silver, and Bronze Awards is completed online, while judging for the Platinum and Best of Show Awards is completed in person.
How many entries can I submit?
There is no limit to the number of entries one can submit.
How do I submit an entry?
All entries in the 2012 Adrian Awards must be submitted online. To begin the entry process, click on Enter Now button from the navigation bar or any of the entry form links throughout the site.
What are the steps to entering online?
Begin by entering or creating a Entrant Account with user name and password. Once you have saved your entrant form you can beginning entering your entry data.
What must I submit to enter?
- Step 1: From the Main Menu click on the words “Step 1”and complete your Entrant Information Form and press “Save.”
- Step 2: To begin the entry process select “ADD ENTRY.” You will need to complete all required information in the form. Make sure to press save frequently to avoid loss of data. When you are finished filling out the entry form, press “SAVE ENTRY” once more.
- Step 3: Next upload your supporting media files. Please review the file requirements before you begin this process. When you are finished uploading all the media files for a specific entry, make sure to go back and click each uploaded document to confirm that it is functioning properly. If you have uploaded text documents that must be read, make sure you can read them from the screen.
- Step 4: Review your submitted entries by clicking on the “Entry List” link. You should see a status link for each entry. Click on incomplete (red hyper link) and complete the actions listed to change the entry status to complete. Then press “Submit Entry for Judging.”
- Step 5: Make sure all entries are labeled complete and process your payment. While you are welcome to pay by check, credit card payments are preferred. Your entries will not be moved to judging until your payment is received. All payments must be received by September 17.
The Adrian Awards judging academy will examine the Statement of Communication and supporting materials provided with each entry. In the Statement of Communication you will be asked to provide information in seven categories:
- Situational Analysis
- Marketing Objectives
- Target Audience
- Research, Planning and Implementation
Input your answers into the online submittal form. When preparing your documentation keep in mind that you are limited to 1,000 characters per category text box (7,000 per entry) and yes, spaces count as characters. A minimum quantity of supporting media must be uploaded.
Is there a limit to how many media files I can upload?
Yes, each category has a minimum and maximum quantity of uploads and media files are subject to size limitations.
- For Printed Materials:
Preferred file format: pdf at screen resolution (low) or a link to the actual entry is acceptable.Uploaded files should not exceed 5 MB each
- For Web Images:
Accepted file formats: .gif, .jpg, or a link to the actual entry is acceptable.Uploaded images should not exceed 5 MB each. Images should be web quality
- For Audio
Accepted audio file formats: avi, wma, wav, mp3 or a link to the actual media.Uploaded audio files should not exceed 5 MB
- For Film/Video/Multimedia*:
Accepted file formats: .mpeg, .mpg, wmv, swf or a link to the actual media. Recommended pixel size: 320 pixel x 240 pixe Uploaded files should not exceed 20 MB
What awards are given out?
Best of Show, Platinum, Gold, Silver, and Bronze
- Silver and Bronze Awards: Notable entries will receive Silver and Bronze recognition.
- Gold Awards: Gold awards are presented to those entries that the judges have determined have best met the exact criteria set forth in the Call for Entries materials.
- Platinum Awards: Platinum winners are selected only from Gold award winners. Platinum winners outperform all competitors with creativity and exceptional results.
- Best of Show Awards: One Best of Show is awarded in each of the main competition areas: Advertising, Digital Marketing and Public Relations. The Best of Shows are selected from among the Platinum winners.
In addition, our Benefactors each present their own speciality award.
What are the entry categories?
Please visit the Categories tab from the navigation bar in the Competition area of the site for a complete listing of all categories.
By September 10, 2012
HSMAI Members $165 per entry
Non-members $185 per entry
September 10-September 17, 2012
HSMAI Members $180 per entry
Non-members $195 per entry
How do I pay for my entries?
Entrants can opt to pay online by credit card or check. Completed entries will not be moved to the judging phase until payment is received.
Checks should be made payable to:
1760 Old Meadow Road, Suite 500
McLean, VA 22010
For more information, please contact HSMAI:
Back to Top